Saturday, March 9, 2019

Immune to Reality Essay

Upon my back, to accommodate my belly upon my wit, to defend my wiles upon my secrecy, to defend mine honesty my mask, to defend my beauty. (William Shakespeare Troilus and Cressida) (Gilbert 133)This quote pertains to the consciousness protecting and or lying to you to not be harmed, which has been proved in test today. immune To Reality written by Daniel Gilbert is a piece well-nigh how the thought behind play tricks on us by practical application up the truth with a believable lie, how we cook facts (134), and how our minds choices tidy sum affect our feelings.Throughout this essay I will be discussing a real life situation of my own, and the studies and the outcomes and whether they make sense or not. They say the mind protects us from ourselves, solely we also cook facts (134) which discover to go hand in hand. Cooking facts are deliberate attempts to pose positive views (134) a few examples are failing miserably on the test moreover tell yourself there is al carriage s next conviction and youll study harder for the next one and example from the book macrocosmness is that your groom-to-be left you at the altar but saying She was never actually right for me(134).The mind tries to protect us from remembering bad things or bad experiences. Ive seen some of my friends try and deny the fact that his give had died of cancer, he sightly didnt believe it until the day of his funeral. exactly in the end they made it in their mind that he was in a better place and no longer suffering. In my own case, my family and I were coming back from a trip to Florida on a bus bus which ended up being hit by another(prenominal) car and flipped on its side on a four lane highway which ended up being hit by both to a greater extent cars.I am thankful to say that I was buckled so I only came out of the crash with a concussion, but it palliate affects me every day. My vision has never been the same, yeah sure I can read really fast when Im reading to myself but when it comes to reading out loud. Its a completely different story. theres no medical term for it but the best way they could put it is that I arrive at an acute form of dyslexia. I just thank to this day that it actually isnt worse than it could be and this being my cooked facts. To this day I cannot remember anything about the crash, this being the way my mind protects me from pain.Our minds and feelings are always going to have some sort of connecter since it is our brain that tells our body us what we are feeling. Studies show that what we choose can really affect our moods for the time being or even by means ofout a week. On pages 135-136 a study shows a group of volunteers went through a job interview. Some of the volunteers were told that their interview would be seen by a judge (135) Other volunteers were told that their interview would be seen by a dialog box (315) the volunteers not knowing that everyone would be rejected the job.The Pre Rejection Prediction shows th at the volunteers wouldnt have really cared if they were rejected by the solo judge or the control panel group, but what the results showed is that the group of volunteers that were rejected by the jury was much more upset than the ones rejected by the solo judge. I mean Id be upset if 12 people told me I wasnt capable to do a job, you automatically think that something is wrong with you.But with the judge your mind just makes up excuses to make you feel better, examples being he doesnt know the real me or I outweart really need that job anyway. The mind is very deceiving, but it is sometimes for the best. When you need protection from yourself or whether its to give you a boost. We just need to be able to tell when and when not our mind is doing these things. References * Gilbert, Daniel. Immune to Reality. The New Humanities Reader. By Richard E. Miller and Kurt Spellmeyer. 4th ed. Boston, MA Wadsworth, n. d. 133-50. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment